Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] xl info displays less ram than the total available

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 10:30:18AM +0200, blallo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]

I suppose that you thought about configure then make. Vice versa does not make
sense.

> Nevertheless I got an efi image in dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/
>
> % ls dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/
>
> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi
> xen-4.8.efi -> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi
> xen-4.efi -> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi
> xen.efi -> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi

That is great!

> Note: I set EFI_VENDOR=archlinux and mkdir'd
> dist/install/boot/efi/efi/archlinux
>
> I will explain later as I tried to boot these images.
>
> 2. I installed mingw from the Arch Linux repos. Then configure && I set
>
> CROSSCOMPILE=x86_64-w64-mingw32- make world -j8

I have never used mingw. Anyway, IIRC, there were some issues with it and it
was discussed on Xen-devel. Even there were fixes for them but I am not sure
they were applied. Look for relevant thread for more details.

> at compile time. But again no xen.efi image in dist/install/ and a non
> bootable dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/. After the build I get [3].

If you use -j make option and you encounter build errors then please drop it
from make command line and restart build. This way every build step is executed
in sequence and error messages follow related command line. Otherwise sometimes
errors are printed under not relevant command line and it could be impossible
to tell what really happened.

> 3. At last I manually implemented [4] the Fedora patch [5] (because I'm
> trying to
> compile 4.8.0-rc3 and that patch is for another version, don't know which).
> Again, same result as before: no efi image in dist/install and those in
> dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/ are not bootable.

I am not able to say anything if I do not have at least single line from
serial console or screen dump (latter could be much more difficult to get).
So, please configure Xen serial console and try to catch some stuff.

> I switched to systemd-boot to chainload the xen.efi image. I

I am not sure that chainload is sufficiently reliable here.

> successfully boot my Arch Linux system, therefore i assume that this
> bootloader works.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Is Xen involved here or not?

> I have (hopefully) properly configured [6] a xen.cfg file
> in the same path as the xen.efi images obtained before.
> I can't boot yet.

Please provide serial console dump...

> Trying to bypass the bootloader I created an efi boot entry with
> efibootmgr and, via the laptop firmware interface, I tried to boot
> directly in xen.

Please provide at least efibootmgr command line...

> Again no results.

Serial console is you friend...

> Is there anybody patient enough to explain to me how to proceed?

Yes, but you must provide valuable details. Otherwise we cannot help.

> Greetings :)

Have a nice day,

Daniel