Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] xl info displays less ram than the total available

Blallo:

-------- Original Message --------
From: Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 6 October 2016 15:16:18 CEST
To: blallo@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich
<JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] xl info displays less ram than the total
available

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 02:58:57PM +0200, blallo@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[...]

        multiboot /xen.gz
        echo    'Loading Xen with linux-grsec...'
        module  /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/leonovo-rootvol rw
cryptdevice=UUID=02bbde36-5fda-478f-a54f-b6f495e24961:leonovo
root=/dev/mapper/leonovo-rootvol
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk to launch dom0 (linux-grsec)...'
        module  /initramfs-linux.img

Forget about multiboot on EFI platforms. It does not work.
At least with Xen. Please load xen.efi binary directly
(as Jan suggested) or if you wish GRUB2 then you must use
relevant patches for Xen and GRUB2. Check this threads for
more details:
 - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2016-03/msg00299.html
 - https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-09/msg03330.html

Daniel

Ok, I've been stuck at this point. I am not able, just following the two
strategies suggested in the wiki [*] to obtain a working efi image of xen. If I
understood well, the cross toolchain is a compiler/linker that outputs PE efi
images, so I tried in three different ways:

1. As suggested here [1] I recompiled binutils with x86_64-pep support
and did a make && configure. The build process exited with errors [2].
Nevertheless I got an efi image in dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/

% ls dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/

xen-4.8.0-rc.efi
xen-4.8.efi -> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi
xen-4.efi -> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi
xen.efi -> xen-4.8.0-rc.efi

Note: I set EFI_VENDOR=archlinux and mkdir'd
dist/install/boot/efi/efi/archlinux

I will explain later as I tried to boot these images.

2. I installed mingw from the Arch Linux repos. Then configure && I set

CROSSCOMPILE=x86_64-w64-mingw32- make world -j8

at compile time. But again no xen.efi image in dist/install/ and a non
bootable dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/. After the build I get [3].

3. At last I manually implemented [4] the Fedora patch [5] (because I'm trying
compile 4.8.0-rc3 and that patch is for another version, don't know which).
Again, same result as before: no efi image in dist/install and those in
dist/install/usr/lib64/efi/ are not bootable.

I switched to systemd-boot to chainload the xen.efi image. I
successfully boot my Arch Linux system, therefore i assume that this
bootloader works. I have (hopefully) properly configured [6] a xen.cfg file
in the same path as the xen.efi images obtained before.
I can't boot yet.
Trying to bypass the bootloader I created an efi boot entry with
efibootmgr and, via the laptop firmware interface, I tried to boot
directly in xen.
Again no results.

Is there anybody patient enough to explain to me how to proceed?

Greetings :)

--
Leonardo

[*] https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_EFI#Compiling_Xen_as_EFI