Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:02:44AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> On Monday, 26 September 2016, 12:32:01 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:37:14AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> > > Pls cc me with any replies.

> > > That was quick. Thank you for your response. So there is no way to hook
> > > libxl from a standalone qemu option?
> >
> > With xl, you can add arguments to the qemu command line via the option:
> > device_model_args_hvm = [ "-extra-option", 'example' ]
>
> And you saw me use that, as below. What I was asking is is there an option
> for
> standalone qemu that will let it connect to libxl?

No, that is not possible.

> > > ## live cd installer
> > >
> > > Disk = [ "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
> > > gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r", "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w" ]
> >
> > Would the guest works if you change xvda and xvdc to respectively hda
> > and hdc?
> >
> > > vga="qxl"
> > > videoram=128
> > > #soundhw='all' #causes hvm domain start failure
> > > soundhw='sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a'
> >
> > You could specify only one sound card, instead of all, and you could use
> > 'hda' to start with.
> >
> > > usbdevice='mouse'
> >
> > Try with a tablet instead of the mouse:
> > usbdevice='tablet'
> > That is usually the virtual device I use for a mouse.
> > You could try also without the usbdevice option, and see if the guest
> > boot.
>
> Neither '-soundhw hda' or '-usbdevice tablet' work in standalone qemu OI. OI
> has initialization problems with hda, and I had to use another sound driver.
> That's why I pass all the drivers except hda to standalone qemu. Also, OI
> software is quite old (Gnome 2, gcc 4.9, xorg 1.14, etc.) and they don't
> really have a tablet driver, and passing a tablet to standalone qemu resulted
> in a non functional mouse.
>
> None the less, I tried all three changes to my xen cfg, and commenting out
> the
> Haswell option, and there was no difference.
>
> To reiterate from my OP, when 'xen_platform_pci=1', I can boot into grub,
> edit
> the kernel line for verbose booting (-v), and the boot msgs list the decoded
> cpuid flags, then hang on the enumeration of the first pci device. If I pass
> 'xen_platform_pci=0', I get the same msgs, but then the domain aborts with a
> null pointer dereference in an OI kernel driver.
>
> My only concern here is getting hardware acceleration for my OI domain, which
> right now is only thru kvm/qemu, which is inconvenient to have to boot bare
> metal, or have a very slow domain under a xen boot. However, I've tried
> numerous variations in my xen cfg, to no avail. If there is no standalone
> qemu
> option to connect it to libxl, are there any plans to include one down the
> road? (Which was my original question.)

Try this (apix_enable=0):
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27307/html/vmrns-bugs.html#vmrns-solaris10hangs
with 'xen_platform_pci=1' in your config. (it did not work for me with
xen_platform_pci=0.)

It worked for me with the "OpenIndiana Build 151a8 Server CD".

--
Anthony PERARD