Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Openindiana, using -machine pc, accel=xen in qemu

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:37:14AM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> Pls cc me with any replies.
>
> On Thursday, 22 September 2016, 12:22:02 EDT, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 06:20:16PM -0400, jim burns wrote:
> > > I didn't get any responses in xen-users, so I'm posting here. My use case
> > > is as below, but the jist of it is is the qemu option -machine
> > > pc,accel=xen meant to be usable in standalone qemu, or is it only
> > > available from a guest launched by xl, or libvirtd via libxl? If the
> > > latter, are there any plans to make it available as a standalone qemu
> > > option?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > -machine pc,accel=xen is to be used by libxl (used by xl or libvirt).
> > libxl takes care of creating a guest and launch QEMU when needed.
>
> That was quick. Thank you for your response. So there is no way to hook libxl
> from a standalone qemu option?

With xl, you can add arguments to the qemu command line via the option:
device_model_args_hvm = [ "-extra-option", 'example' ]

> > What is your xen config file for OI ?
>
> name = "osol134"
> uuid = "f80856df-3180-acc5-931d-32190cfe4062"
> memory=2048
> vcpus=4
> localtime=1
> on_poweroff = "destroy"
> on_reboot = "destroy"
> on_crash = "preserve"
> #
> boot="dc"
> builder="hvm"
> xen_platform_pci=0  # forces -machine pc,accel=xen
> device_model_args=[ '-cpu','Haswell-noTSX' ]

This -cpu would not work, QEMU have no control over the cpu when running
with Xen.

> ## live cd installer
>
> Disk = [ "file:/home/jimb/Documents/rpms/OI-hipster-
> gui-20160421.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r", "phy:/dev/dm-2,xvda,w" ]

Would the guest works if you change xvda and xvdc to respectively hda
and hdc?

> vga="qxl"
> videoram=128
> #soundhw='all' #causes hvm domain start failure
> soundhw='sb16,es1370,ac97,adlib,gus,cs4231a'

You could specify only one sound card, instead of all, and you could use
'hda' to start with.

> usbdevice='mouse'

Try with a tablet instead of the mouse:
usbdevice='tablet'
That is usually the virtual device I use for a mouse.
You could try also without the usbdevice option, and see if the guest
boot.

--
Anthony PERARD