Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/5] xen/arm: support big.little SoC

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:24:37AM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
>Hello Peng,
>
>On 23/09/16 03:14, Peng Fan wrote:
>>On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 07:54:02PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
>>>Hi Stefano,

>>>I don't think this is insane (or maybe I am insane :)). Cluster usually
>>>doesn't share all L2 cache (assuming L1 is local to each core) and L3 cache
>>>may not be present, so if you move a task from one cluster to another you
>>>will add latency because the new L2 cache has to be refilled.
>>>
>>>The use case of big.LITTLE is big cores are used for short period of burst
>>>and little core are used for the rest (e.g listening audio, fetching
>>>mail...). If you want to reduce latency when switch between big and little
>>>CPUs, you may want to put them within the same cluster.
>>>
>>>Also, as mentioned in another thread, you may have a platform with the same
>>>micro-architecture (e.g Cortex A-53) but different silicon implementation
>>>(e.g to have a different frequency, power efficiency). Here the concept of
>>>big.LITTLE is more blurred.
>>
>>That is possible that in one cluster, different pcpus runs with different cpu
>>frequency. This depends on hardware design. Some may require all the cores in
>>one cluster runs at the same frequency, some may have more complicated design
>>that
>>supports different cores runs at different frequency.
>>
>>This is just like you have a smp system, but different cores can run at
>>different cpu frequency. I think this is not what bit.LITTLE means.
>
>big.LITTLE is a generic term to have "power hungry and powerful core
>powerful" (big) with slower and battery-saving cores (LITTLE).
>
>It is not mandatory to have different micro-architectures between big and
>LITTLE cores.
>
>In any case, the interface should not be big.LITTLE specific. We don't want
>to tie us to one specific architecture.

If all the cores have the same micro-architecture, but for some reason,
they are put in different clusters or cpus in one cluster support running
at different cpu freq.

We still can introduce cpupool-cluster-split or as Juergen suggested,
use "cpupool-slit feature=xx"  to split the cluster or cpuclasses
into different cpupools. This is just a feature that better to have, I think.

The reason to include cpupool-cluster-split or else is to split the big and
little
cores into different cpupools. And now big and little cores are in different cpu
clusters from the hardware[1] I can see. I think assigning cores from
different clusters into one cpupool is not a good idea.

I have no idea about future hardware.

If cluster is not prefered, cpuclass maybe a choice, but I personally perfer
"cluster" split for ARM.

Thanks,
Peng.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE