Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/5] xen/arm: support big.little SoC

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 08:11:43PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
> [...]
>>>not be able to migrate vCPU across cluster for power efficiency.
>>
>>The goal of the architects of big.LITTLE might have been power
>>efficiency, but of course we are free to use any features that the
>>hardware provides in the best way for Xen and the Xen community.
>
>This is very dependent on how the big.LITTLE has been implemented by the
>hardware. Some platform can not run both big and LITTLE cores at the same
>time. You need a proper switch in the firmware/hypervisor.
>

>>>If we care about power efficiency, we would have to handle seamlessly
>>>big.LITTLE in Xen (i.e a guess would only see a kind of CPU). This arise
>>>quite
>>>few problem, nothing insurmountable, similar to migration across two
>>>platforms
>>>with different micro-architecture (e.g processors): errata, features
>>>supported... The guest would have to know the union of all the errata (this
>>>is
>>>done so far via the MIDR, so we would a PV way to do it), and only the
>>>intersection of features would be exposed to the guest. This also means the
>>>scheduler would have to be modified to handle power efficiency (not strictly
>>>necessary at the beginning).
>>>
>>>I agree that a such solution would require some work to implement, although
>>>Xen will have a better control of the energy consumption of the platform.
>>>
>>>So the question here, is what do we want to achieve with big.LITTLE?
>>
>>I don't think that handling seamlessly big.LITTLE in Xen is the best way
>>to do it in the scenarios where Xen on ARM is being used today. I
>>understand the principles behind it, but I don't think that it will lead
>>to good results in a virtualized environment, where there is more
>>activity and more vcpus than pcpus.
>
>Can you detail why you don't think it will give good results?
>

>>What we discussed in this thread so far is actionable, and gives us
>>big.LITTLE support in a short time frame. It is a good fit for Xen on
>>ARM use cases and still leads to lower power consumption with an wise
>>allocation of big and LITTLE vcpus and pcpus to guests.
>
>How this would lead to lower power consumption? If there is nothing running
>of the processor we would have a wfi loop which will never put the physical
>CPU in deep sleep. The main advantage of big.LITTLE is too be able to switch
>off a cluster/cpu when it is not used.
>
>Without any knowledge in Xen (such as CPU freq), I am afraid the the power
>consumption will still be the same.
>

>>I would start from this approach, then if somebody comes along with a
>>plan to implement a big.LITTLE switcher in Xen, I welcome her to do it
>>and I would be happy to accept the code in Xen. We'll just make it
>>optional.
>
>I think we are discussing here a simple design for big.LITTLE. I never asked
>Peng to do all the work. I am worry that if we start to expose the big.LITTLE
>to the userspace it will be hard in the future to step back from it.

Hello Julien,

I prefer the simple doable method, and As Stefano said, actionable.

 - introduce a hypercall interface to let xl can get the different classes cpu
info.
 - Use vcpuclass in xl cfg file to let user create different vcpus
 - extract cpu computing cap from dts to differentiate cpus. As you said,
bindings
   not upstreamed. But this is not the hardpoint, we could change the info,
whether
   dmips or cap in future.
 - use cpu hard affinity to block vcpu scheduling bwtween little and big pcpu.
 - block user setting vcpu hard affinity bwtween big and LITTLE.
 - only hard affinity seems enough, no need soft affinity.

Anyway, for vcpu scheduling bwtween big and LITTLE, if this is the right
direction and you have an idea on how to implement, I could follow you on
enabling this feature with you leading the work. I do not have much idea on
this.

I checked the code
http://www.linux-arm.org/git?p=linux-skp.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cpu-ftr/v3-4.3-rc4
which is near the same with the patches merged into Linux.
It tries to expose the common safe cpu feature to userspace/kvm/debug, most for
userspace.

But for midr, it says:
MIDR_EL1 is exposed to help identify the processor. On a heterogeneous
system, this could be racy (just like getcpu()). The process could be
migrated to another CPU by the time it uses the register value, unless the
CPU affinity is set. Hence, there is no guarantee that the value reflects the
processor that it is currently executing on. The REVIDR is not exposed due
to this constraint, as REVIDR makes sense only in conjunction with the MIDR.

I think for vCPU, we may met same issue.

Thanks,
Peng.