Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/5] xen/arm: support big.little SoC

On Thu, 2016-09-22 at 18:05 +0800, Peng Fan wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:50:23AM +0200, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> > Yes (or I should say, "whatever", as I know nothing about all
> > this! :-P)
>
> One more thing I'd like to ask, do you prefer cpu classes to be ARM
> specific or ARM/X86
> common?

I'm not sure. I'd say that it depends on where we are. I mean, in Xen,
names can be rather specific, like some codename of the
chip/core/family/etc.

I'm not sure what this means for you, on ARM, but I guess it would
depend on what you, Julien and Stefano will come up and agree on.

Then, at the toolstack level (xl and libxl) we can have aliases for the
various classes, and/or names for specific group of classes, arranged
according whatever criteria.

I also like George's idea of allowing to pick a class by its order in
the hypervisor hierarchy, if/as soon as we'll put classes in a
hierarchy withing the hypervisor.

But I'd like to hear others... In the meanwhile, if I were you, I'd
start with either "class 0", "class 1", etc., or just use the codename
of the chip ("A17, "A15", etc.)

Regards,
Dario