Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/5] xen/arm: support big.little SoC

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:15:35AM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
>Hello Peng,
>
>On 21/09/16 09:38, Peng Fan wrote:

>>>No, it is not about migrating (at least yet). It is about giving useful
>>>information to the user. It would be nice if the user had to choose
>>>between "big" and "LITTLE" rather than "class 0x1" and "class 0x100", or
>>>even "A7" or "A15".
>>
>>As Dario mentioned in previous email,
>>for dom0 provide like this:
>>
>>dom0_vcpus_big = 4
>>dom0_vcpus_little = 2
>>
>>to dom0.
>>
>>If these two no provided, we could let dom0 runs on big pcpus or big.little.
>>Anyway this is not the important point for dom0 only big or big.little.
>>
>>For domU, provide "vcpus.big" and "vcpus.little" in xl configuration file.
>>Such as:
>>
>>vcpus.big = 2
>>vcpus.litle = 4
>>

>>According to George's comments,
>>Then, I think we could use affinity to restrict little vcpus be scheduled on
>>little vcpus,
>>and restrict big vcpus on big vcpus. Seems no need to consider soft affinity,
>>use hard
>>affinity is to handle this.
>>
>>We may need to provide some interface to let xl can get the information such
>>as
>>big.little or smp. if it is big.little, which is big and which is little.
>>
>>For how to differentiate cpus, I am looking the linaro eas cpu topology code,
>>The code has not been upstreamed (:, but merged into google android kernel.
>>I only plan to take some necessary code, such as device tree parse and
>>cpu topology build, because we only need to know the computing capacity of
>>each pcpu.
>>
>>Some doc about eas piece, including dts node examples:
>>https://git.linaro.org/arm/eas/kernel.git/blob/refs/heads/lsk-v4.4-eas-v5.2:/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/scheduler/sched-energy-costs.txt
>
>I am reluctant to take any non-upstreamed bindings in Xen. There is a similar
>series going on the lklm [1].

For how to differentiate cpu classes, how about directly use
compatible property of each cpu node?

        A57_0: cpu@0 {
                compatible = "arm,cortex-a57","arm,armv8";
                reg = <0x0 0x0>;
        };

        A53_0: cpu@100 {
                compatible = "arm,cortex-a53","arm,armv8";
                reg = <0x0 0x100>;
        }

Thanks,
Peng.