Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/5] xen/arm: support big.little SoC

Hi,

On 20/09/2016 12:27, George Dunlap wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Peng Fan <van.freenix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 02:54:06AM +0200, Dario Faggioli wrote:
On Mon, 2016-09-19 at 17:01 -0700, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Dario Faggioli wrote:
I'd like to add a computing capability in xen/arm, like this:

struct compute_capatiliby
{
   char *core_name;
   uint32_t rank;
   uint32_t cpu_partnum;
};

struct compute_capatiliby cc=
{
  {"A72", 4, 0xd08},
  {"A57", 3, 0xxxx},
  {"A53", 2, 0xd03},
  {"A35", 1, ...},
}

Then when identify cpu, we decide which cpu is big and which cpu is little
according to the computing rank.

Any comments?

I think we definitely need to have Xen have some kind of idea the
order between processors, so that the user doesn't need to figure out
which class / pool is big and which pool is LITTLE.  Whether this sort
of enumeration is the best way to do that I'll let Julien and Stefano
give their opinion.

I don't think an hardcoded list of processor in Xen is the right solution. There are many existing processors and combinations for big.LITTLE so it will nearly be impossible to keep updated.

I would expect the firmware table (device tree, ACPI) to provide relevant data for each processor and differentiate big from LITTLE core. Note that I haven't looked at it for now. A good place to start is looking at how Linux does.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall