Re: [Xen-devel] HVMOP_altp2m_vcpu_enable_notify code example usage

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Dmitry Rockosov <rockosov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem is in hypervisor checking definitely. I deeper debugged the
> code, I met vmcall instruction execution. This means EFAULT is coming from
> hypervisor.

As it should, question is where exactly it gets denied in Xen.

> Best Regards,
> Rockosov Dmitry

>> Hello Tamas,
>>
>> Thank you for the answer!
>>
>> I installed the same xen source code (4.7.0) as on dom0 to domU, built
>> dist-tools, installed xen-tools, updated rc.d configuration and rebooted.
>> IOCTL channel to privcmd driver is working fine, but all requests to
>> hypervisor like hvm_get_param, translate_foreign_address,
>> altp2m_vcpu_enable_notify return EFAULT errno (Bad access).
>>
>> Just for experiment I wrote below code in usermode:
>> ===================================
>> rc = xc_hvm_param_get(xch, DOMID_SELF, HVM_PARAM_CONSOLE_PFN, &value);
>> if (rc < 0) {
>>     PERROR("Fail to get CONSOLE PFN HVM PARAM\n");
>>     goto exit;
>> }
>> DPRINTF("CONSOLE PFN == %llx", (unsigned long long)value);
>> ===================================
>>
>> and below code in kernelmode:
>> ===================================
>> printk(KERN_INFO "We are in Xen domain HVM = %d\n", xen_hvm_domain());
>> err = hvm_get_parameter(HVM_PARAM_CONSOLE_PFN, &value);
>> printk(KERN_INFO "err = %d\n", err);
>> printk(KERN_INFO "CONSOLE PFN = %llx\n", value);
>> ===================================
>>
>> In the usermode I got an error:
>> ===================================
>> Fail to get CONSOLE PFN HVM PARAM
>> : Bad address
>> ===================================
>>
>> In the kernelmode code executed fine:
>> ===================================
>> [23261.230188] We are in Xen domain HVM = 1
>> [23261.307840] err = 0
>> [23261.352587] CONSOLE PFN = fefff
>>
>> Looks like usermode wrappers don't support many requests to hypervisor,
>> right?

Not sure about HVMOP_get_param but AFAIK for
HVMOP_altp2m_vcpu_enable_notify to work you would have to create the
domain with altp2mhvm=1 enabled, then also issue the required commands
from dom0 to enable it (xc_altp2m_set_domain_state) and also perhaps
create a couple altp2m views.

Tamas