Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc] Intel L2 Cache Allocation Technology (L2 CAT) Feature enabling

On 13/05/16 09:55, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> No, I mean different domains may be running on different cores,
>>> and hence different policies may be needed to accommodate them
>>> all.
>> From the description, it sounds like L2 behaves almost exactly like L3.
>> There is one set of capacity bitmaps which apply to all L2 caches in the
>> socket, and the specific capacity bitmap in effect is specified by
>> PSR_ASSOC CLOS, which is context switched with the vcpu.
> Well, I suppose the description is implying per-socket L2s. For per-
> core L2s I'd expect the MSRs to also become per-core.
>
> But anyway, L2 or L3 - I can't see how this context switching would
> DTRT when there are vCPU-s of different domains on the same
> socket (or core, if L2s and MSRs were per-core): The one getting
> scheduled later onto a socket (core) would simply overwrite what
> got written for the one which had been scheduled earlier.

PSR_ASSOC is a per-thread MSR which selects the CLOS to use.  CLOS is
currently managed per-domain in Xen, and context switched with vcpu.

Xen programs different capacity bitmaps into IA32_L2_QOS_MASK_0 ...
IA32_L2_QOS_MASK_n, and the CLOS selects which bitmap is enforced.

~Andrew