Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc] Add vNVDIMM support for Xen

Agree. It's a very good doc to help following discussions.

> To start with however, I would like to clear up my confusion over the
> the usecases of pmem vs pblk.
>
> pblk, using indirect access, is less efficient than pmem.  NVDIMMs
> themselves are slower (and presumably more expensive) than equivalent
> RAM, and presumably still has a finite number of write cycles,  so I
> don't buy an argument suggesting that they are a plausible replacement
> for real RAM.

for pblk, I think it's more meaningful to compare with today's SSD.

> I presume therefore that a system would only choose to use pblk mode in
> situations where the host physical address space is a limiting factor.
> Are there other situations which I have overlooked?

I think you more mean RAM size limitation here. Today 48bit physical
address space is not limiting yet. :-)

> Secondly, I presume that pmem vs pblk will be a firmware decision and
> fixed from the point of view of the Operating System?

Yes from the description of ACPI manner.

Thanks
Kevin