Re: [Xen-devel] 9p file system for xen

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 07:37:43AM -0700, Linda wrote:

> On 12/1/2015 4:47 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:19:18PM -0500, Neil Sikka wrote:
> >>Hi Wei, could you please explain why/how you would have done the project
> >>differently now and why these patches are not "good"? From my conversation
> >>with Linda, I understood that her code is "Independent of virtio except the
> >>9pvirtio specific code, which is used extensively."
> >>
> >I need to implement a xen transport for 9pfs. Linda was essentially
> >doing the same. But she didn't specify the canonical protocol between
> >frontend and backend.
> For my own edification:  In the interests of the limited time of my
> internship, we decided I shouldn't do the initialization using the xen
> toolstack.  Were there are other expediencies that I'm unaware of?

It's not about toolstack. Toolstack merely sets up xenstore nodes
according to the protocol.

> I tried to follow the xen handshaking protocol between front and back end at
> startup.

Yes, that's the right direction. Following existing convention is good
enough for an intern project. Specifying the protocol in detailed is not
the requirement for a prototype.

But in the end to upstream xen-9pfs a canonical protocol is required.  A
blessed version of protocol needs to be committed to xen.git tree.  We
have a bunch of those in xen.git/xen/include/public/io/ directory.

Wei.