Re: [Xen-devel] Question: Redirect guest kernel's message via serial port to a file on dom0

On Tue, 2015-08-25 at 09:04 -0400, Meng Xu wrote:
> > On 25/08/2015 03:48, Meng Xu wrote:
> > > Hi Andrew,
> > >
> > > Thank you so much for your suggestion! I tried but have some
> > > questions.

> > > I set "XENCONSOLED_TRACE=guest" under /etc/default/xencommons ,
> > > because in /etc/init.d/xencommons, it has: test -z
> > > "$XENCONSOLED_TRACE" || XENCONSOLED_ARGS=" --log=$XENCONSOLED_TRACE"
> > >
> > > So I think this is what you mean by "--log=guest"; After I set this
> > > variable and restart the xencommons by "service xencommons restart"
> > > on
> > > dom0 (Ubuntu 12.04LTS), I still couldn't find the file in
> > > /var/log/xen/guest/console when I reboot the VM.
> > > Actually, "find /var -name console" returns no result.
> > >
> > > **My question is:**
> > > Is there anything else I need to configure to get the
> > > /var/log/xen/guest/console?
> > >
> > > I don't see the folder under /var/log/xen. :-(
> >
> > You probably need to mkdir it then, or extend the args list with
> > --log-dir=/var/log/xen
>
> I tried both, but neither of them works. :-(
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has some document about how to do this?
> If there is some document about how to debug this configuration issue,
> it could also be helpful...
> But I didn't find it after googling and trying for 2 hours...:-(
>
> Below is the detail of what I tried:
>
> I tried to mkdir /var/log/xen/guest

The correct (default) path is /var/log/xen/console I think.

>  and restart the xencommons by
> "service xencommons restart",

Are you using sysvinit or systemd? If the latter are you using the systemd
units of the sysvinit scripts via systemd's LSB compat mode?

If you are using the systemd units then I think they might be configured
elsewhere.

Ian.