Re: [Xen-devel] PV-vNUMA issue: topology is misinterpreted by the guest

On 07/24/2015 06:40 PM, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
On 07/24/2015 12:10 PM, Juergen Gross wrote:

If we can fiddle with the masks on boot, we could do it in a running
system, too. Another advantage with not relying on cpuid. :-)

I am trying to catch up with this thread so I may have missed it, but I
still don't understand why we don't want to rely on CPUID.

I think I saw Juergen said --- because it's HW-specific. But what's
wrong with that? Hypervisor is building virtualized x86 (in this case)
hardware and on such HW CPUID is the standard way of determining
thread/core topology. Plus various ACPI tables and such.

I didn't mean specific to x86, but even different between AMD and Intel.

Juergen