Re: [Xen-devel] PV-vNUMA issue: topology is misinterpreted by the guest

On 07/16/2015 11:45 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 16/07/15 16:25, Wei Liu wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 11:56:50AM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 16/07/15 11:47, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 16.07.15 at 12:32, <dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
root@test:~# numactl --hardware
available: 2 nodes (0-1)
node 0 cpus: 0 1
node 0 size: 475 MB
node 0 free: 382 MB
node 1 cpus: 2 3
node 1 size: 495 MB
node 1 free: 475 MB
node distances:
node   0   1
   0:  10  10
   1:  20  10

root@test:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/topology/thread_siblings_list
0-1
root@test:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/topology/core_siblings_list
0-3
root@test:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/topology/thread_siblings_list
2-3
root@test:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/topology/core_siblings_list
0-3

So the complain during boot seems to be against 'core_siblings' (which
was not what I expected, but perhaps I misremember the meaning of
"core_siblings" VS. "thread_siblings" VS. smt-siblings in Linux; I'll
double check).

Anyway, is there anything we can do to fix or workaround things?
Make the guest honor topology also at the CPUID layer. Whether
that's by not wrongly consuming the respective CPUID bits (i.e. a
guest side change) or reflecting PV state in what the hypervisor
returns I'm not sure about. While the latter might be more clean,
I'd be afraid this might get in the way of what the tool stack wants
to see.
Xen's CPUID handling currently has no concept of per-core and
per-package data in the cpuid policy.  The guest sees the information
Can / Will Xen have that concept in the future?
It is certainly possible.

I plan to try and lay some ground work as part of the feature levelling
fixes, but fixing the hypervisor representation of cpuid is specifically
out of scope for the feature levelling fixes (in a deliberate attempt to
prevent the project expanding to fill more time than I have).

It is on my list of areas to tackle, but it is several nested cans of worms.

Can't we set leaf 1's EBX[32:16] to 1?

-boris