Re: [Xen-devel] PCI Passthrough ARM Design : Draft1

On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 13:53 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 18:16 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > > I wrote this before reading the rest of the thread with your alternative
> > > suggestion.  Both approaches can work, maybe it is true that having the
> > > guest requesting mappings is better. And we should certainly do the same
> > > thing for PVH and ARM guests.
> > >
> > > If we have the guest requesting the mapping, obviously the hypercall
> > > implementation should check whether mapping the memory region has been
> > > previously allowed by the toolstack, that should still call
> > > xc_domain_iomem_permission.
> >
> > Whoever makes the initial decision/setup we still need to decide what to
> > do about reads and writes to the device's BAR registers. Who deals with
> > these and how, and if writes are allowed and if so how is this then
> > reflected in the guest p2m.
> >
> > I would very much prefer ARM and x86 PVH to use the same approach to
> > this.
> >
> > For x86 HVM I believe QEMU takes care of this, by emulating the
> > reads/writes to CFG space and making hypercalls (domctls?) to update the
> > p2m. There is no QEMU to do this in the ARM or x86 PVH cases.
> >
> > For x86 PV I believe pciback deals with the register reads/writes but it
> > doesn't need to do anything wrt the p2m because that is a guest internal
> > construct. This obviously doesn't apply to ARM or x86 PVH either since
> > the p2m is managed by Xen in both those cases.
> >
> > So it seems that neither of the existing solutions are a good match for
> > either ARM or x86 PVH.
> >
> > _If_ it were permissible to implement all BAR registers as r/o then this
> > might simplify things, however I suspect this is not something we can
> > get away with in the general case (i.e. a driver for a given PCI device
> > _knows_ that BAR<N> is writeable...).
> >
> > So I think we do need to allow guest writes to the BAR registers. I
> > think it would be a bit strange (or even open potentially subtle
> > (security?) issues) to require the guest to write the BAR register and
> > to update the p2m to match as well.
>
> Why would it be a security risk?

No idea, it seemed like a vague possibility. I did say "(security?)" not
"SECURITY" ;-)

>  I don't think it is important that the
> interface between pcifront and pciback refrects the hardware interface.
> But it is important that the interface is documented and complies to the
> expected behaviour.
>
> I think that if we go with XENMEM_add_to_physmap_range, it would be OK
> for pcifront to both write to the vBAR (actually writing to the ring to
> pciback), then call XENMEM_add_to_physmap_range.
>
> On the other hand, if we go with XEN_DOMCTL_memory_mapping, I would make
> the virtual BAR read-only, that is less preferable but still acceptable,
> as long as we document it.

Given that this appears to be how pv pci works today I think this turns
out to be preferable and saves us having to argue the toss about who
should do the p2m updates on a BAR update.

Which would point towards the toolstack doing the layout and telling
pciback somehow what the bars for each device are and that's it.

(making most of the rest of your reply moot, if you think its really
important to let guests move BARs about I can go through it again)

> > That's for guests, for dom0 Xen also need to be aware of changes to the
> > BAR registers of the real physical devices since it needs to know the
> > real hardware values in order to point guest p2m mappings at them.
>
> I think that in the Dom0 case, we want to map them 1:1.

What I was getting at was that if dom0 can write the BARs of a device
then maybe the 1:1 mapping in the p2m would need to change, but given we
map the whole IO window to dom0 maybe not. I was also wondering if maybe
Xen might need to know the BARs itself (e.g. for updating domU p2m
somehow, or as part of an assignment call using SBDF not addresses), but
I think that's probably not the case.

Ian.