Re: [Xen-devel] PCI Passthrough ARM Design : Draft1

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 18:16 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> I wrote this before reading the rest of the thread with your alternative
> suggestion.  Both approaches can work, maybe it is true that having the
> guest requesting mappings is better. And we should certainly do the same
> thing for PVH and ARM guests.
>
> If we have the guest requesting the mapping, obviously the hypercall
> implementation should check whether mapping the memory region has been
> previously allowed by the toolstack, that should still call
> xc_domain_iomem_permission.

Whoever makes the initial decision/setup we still need to decide what to
do about reads and writes to the device's BAR registers. Who deals with
these and how, and if writes are allowed and if so how is this then
reflected in the guest p2m.

I would very much prefer ARM and x86 PVH to use the same approach to
this.

For x86 HVM I believe QEMU takes care of this, by emulating the
reads/writes to CFG space and making hypercalls (domctls?) to update the
p2m. There is no QEMU to do this in the ARM or x86 PVH cases.

For x86 PV I believe pciback deals with the register reads/writes but it
doesn't need to do anything wrt the p2m because that is a guest internal
construct. This obviously doesn't apply to ARM or x86 PVH either since
the p2m is managed by Xen in both those cases.

So it seems that neither of the existing solutions are a good match for
either ARM or x86 PVH.

_If_ it were permissible to implement all BAR registers as r/o then this
might simplify things, however I suspect this is not something we can
get away with in the general case (i.e. a driver for a given PCI device
_knows_ that BAR<N> is writeable...).

So I think we do need to allow guest writes to the BAR registers. I
think it would be a bit strange (or even open potentially subtle
(security?) issues) to require the guest to write the BAR register and
to update the p2m to match as well.

So I think updates to the BAR need to be reflected in the p2m too by
whichever entity is emulating those reads/writes.

QEMU (or another daemon) is not really an option IMHO.

Which leaves us with either Xen doing trap and emulate or pciback
dealing with this via the pciif.h cfg space access stuff. I've a slight
preference for the latter since I think both ARM and x86 PVH are
planning to use pcifront/pciback already.

Which leaves us with a requirement for the backend to be able to update
the p2m, which in turn leads to a need for an interface available to the
dom0 kernel (which the existing domctl is not).

There will also need to be a mechanism to expose a suitable MMIO hole to
pcifront. On x86 this would be via the machine memory map, I think, but
on ARM we may need something else, perhaps a xenstore key associated
with the pci bus entry in xenstore?

That's for guests, for dom0 Xen also need to be aware of changes to the
BAR registers of the real physical devices since it needs to know the
real hardware values in order to point guest p2m mappings at them.

Wow, this is far more complicated than I imagined :-(

Ian.