Re: [Xen-devel] Xen/arm: Virtual ITS command queue handling

On Tuesday 19 May 2015 07:18 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2015-05-19 at 19:34 +0530, Vijay Kilari wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2015-05-19 at 14:36 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2015-05-19 at 14:27 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
With the multiple vITS we would have to retrieve the number of vITS.
Maybe by extending the xen_arch_domainconfig?
I'm sure we can find a way.

The important question is whether we want to go for a N:N vits:pits
mapping or 1:N.

So far I think we are leaning (slightly?) towards the 1:N model, if we
can come up with a satisfactory answer for what to do with global
commands.
Actually, Julien just mentioned NUMA which I think is a strong argument
for the N:N model.

We need to make a choice here one way or another, since it has knock on
effects on other parts, e.g the handling of SYNC and INVALL etc.

Given that N:N seems likely to be simpler from the Xen side and in any
case doesn't preclude us moving to a 1:N model (or even a 2:N model etc)
in the future how about we start with that?

If there is agreement in taking this direction then I will adjust the
relevant sections of the document to reflect this.
Yes, this make Xen side simple. Most important point to discuss is

1) How Xen maps vITS to pITS. its0 -> vits0?
The choices are basically either Xen chooses and the tools get told (or
"Just Know" the result), or the tools choose and setup the mapping in
Xen via hypercalls.

This could be one possible flow:
-1- xen code parses the pci node and creates a pci_hostbridge structure which stores the device_tree ptr.
(using this pointer msi-parent (or respective its) can be retrieved)
-2- dom0 invokes a hypercall to register pci_hostbridge (seg_no:cfg_addr)
-3- Xen now knows that the device id (seg:bus:dev.fn) has which its.
Using a helper function its node for a seg_no can be retrieved.
-4- When a device is assigned to a domU, we introduce a new hypercall map_guest_bdf which would let xen know
that for a guest how a virtual sbdf maps to a physical sdbf
-5- domU is booted with a single virtual its node in device tree. Front end driver attaches this its as msi-parent -6- When domU accesses for ITS are trapped in Xen, using the helper function say
get_phys_its_for_guest(guest_id, guest_sbdf, /*[out]*/its_ptr *its)

its can be retrieved.
AFAIK this is numa safe.
2) When PCI device is assigned to DomU, how does domU choose
     vITS to send commands.  AFAIK, the BDF of assigned device
     is different from actual BDF in DomU.
AIUI this is described in the firmware tables.

e.g. in DT via the msi-parent phandle on the PCI root complex or
individual device.

Is there an assumption here that a single PCI root bridge is associated
with a single ITS block? Or can different devices on a PCI bus use
different ITS blocks?

Ian.