Re: [Xen-devel] xl mem-max error

On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 10:38 -0500, Zhigang Wang wrote:
> OK. Let me try my best:

> xl create with 'memory = 700', no maxmem been set. I think it means maxmem =
> memory for this case.

>      /local/domain/3/memory/static-max = "716800"
>      /local/domain/3/memory/target = "716801"

> When I issue 'xl mem-max <domid> 700', static-max and target in xenstore will
> not change, but it will cause the command to fail.
>
> Because: "libxl: error: libxl.c:4549:libxl_domain_setmaxmem:
> memory_static_max must be greater than or or equal to memory_dynamic_max"

> I expect I can set the maxmem to the same value I initially set (700).

OK, thanks, got it. I think the use of xl mem-max is a bit of a
red-herring, the issue here is that static-max < target at start of day.

I suspect there is either a rounding error somewhere or because of
LIBXL_MAXMEM_CONSTANT being inconsistently applied to the two values
somewhere along the line.

We had been planning[0] to remove this early in the 4.5 cycle, but as
ever it never floated to the top of anyone's list. For 4.5 we should
probably look at applying this fudge more consistently.

Ian.

[0] http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/23