Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC V8 2/3] libxl domain snapshot API design

<CAFLBxZZVqZxUouciujSTP-GJsUOquofUK6dy1K2rNXuEEb4Ekw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George
Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Chunyan Liu <cyliu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > 3. Function Implementation
> >
> >    libxl_domain_snapshot_create:
> >        1). check args validation
> >        2). save domain memory through save-domain
> >        3). take disk snapshot by qmp command (if domian is active) or
> qemu-img
> >            command (if domain is inactive).
>
> By "active" here, do you you mean "live" (vs paused)?
Means the domain is started (no matter is running or paused).
vs (libvirt defines a domain but not started).
Here,  I should update this to:
3). take disk snapshot by qmp command
libxl only handles active domain.

> >    libxl_domain_snapshot_delete:
> >        1). check args validation
> >        2). remove memory state file.
> >        3). delete disk snapshot. (for internal disk snapshot, through qmp
> >            command or qemu-img command)
>
> Out of curiosity, why is this necessary?  Is libxl keeping track of
> the snapshots somewhere?  Or qemu?
>
> Or to put it a different way, since the caller knows the filenames,
> why can't the caller just erase the files themselves?

Ian asks the same question. The only reason I propose an API is:
xl and libvirt can share the code. And in future, when support many other disk
backend types, there is much repeated code. But as Ian mentioned in
last version, for handling many disk backend types, maybe better placed in
libxlu. Well, if both of you object, I'll remove this API.

- Chunyan