[Xen-devel] FW: PCI and VGA Passthrough regressions on Xen 4.4.1 vs 4.3.2

Some further tests:

0 - Replacing the hvmloader from Xen 4.4.1 with the one from 4.3.2 (File
/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader) produces same results with the Sound Card. So it
is not the hvmloader, either.
A thing with I think that COULD be, assuming it is not Xen itself, is that on
Xen 4.3.x the Linux Sound Card Driver starts and grab the device before
xen-pciback, so it effectively initializes it before xen-pciback makes it
available for DomU use, which is the workaround that allows me to get it
working on 4.4.1. As I don't know the order that they currently start I don't
know if that's possible, but I suppose that it could be tested by blacklisting
the Sound Card Drivers in Xen 4.3.2, which should produce the same horrible
sound that happens on Xen 4.4.1 if that were the case.

Also, I have been experimenting a bit with VGA Passthrough, with no success on
4.4.1.

1 - First thing I did, was to try to reproduce allowing Dom0 Driver grab the
GPU, then using xl pci-assignable-add. I removed the Radeon PCI Address
(01:00.0 and 01:00.1) from xen-pciback. After that, trying to use xl
pci-assignable-add 01:00.0 nearly instantaneously freezes the Dom0 (Blinking
cursor jumps a line before freezing and that's all), in both 4.3.2 and 4.4.1.
This seems to be rather normal cause the GPU is not intended to be unpluggable
like that if the radeon Driver has it.

2 - After checking some VGA Passthrough guides, many said to blacklist the
radeon Driver, which after checking with lsmod | grep radeon I had running. So
I added the modprobe.blacklist=radeon line for the Kernel in the Boot Loader
config, which seemed quite straightforward compared to remaking the initramfs
image. This effectively seemed to remove it, cause lsmod | grep radeon gave no
results anymore. If using xl pci-assignable-add 01:00.0, there were no freezes
or anything abnormal, just a warning than it was unbinded with no Drivers
claiming it.

3 - The WXP DomU was left in a functional state while running Xen 4.3.2. After
installing the Catalyst Drivers (Without CCC) and rebooting the DomU, the
Radeon appeared but with a yellow exclamation mark. I think it was Error 22 if
I recall correctly, complaining about resources. Solved by disabling the
emulated Cirrus and rebooting. At this point, the Monitor connected to the
Radeon finally turned on during WXP booting sequence. I don't recall if I did a
few reboots to confirm it works consistently, cause I didn't builded 4.3.2 with
the ATI Passthrough patch.
This same DomU failed to boot with 4.4.1. At first it seems the Radeon Fan
starts to work, but the Monitor doesn't get signal and the DomU SDL Window in
Dom0 is just a black screen. After a while, it BSODs complaining the ati2dvag
Driver, the error message includes something about an infinite loop and some
error codes I didn't paid attention.

4 - After that BSOD, killing the DomU and trying to create it again causes a
hard freeze of Dom0. Repeated several times, results seems consistent. Monitor
doesn't ever get signal.

5 - Rebuilded Xen 4.4.1 with the ATI Passthrough patch from 4.3.x that is still
included in the Arch Linux xen package and builds, but is claimed to be
untested. Results are the same as previously described.

So basically, VGA Passthrough on Xen 4.4.1 has been unusable in my system,
while the PCI Passthrough issue could at least be workarounded. Didn't bothered
to get a blob of logs of my VGA Passthrough tests cause I doubt they would be
useful or that there is manpower for that - chances are that it may be more
wise to see if PCI Passthrough can be fixed first because its easier, VGA
Passthrough seems to have been always taking on goliath with a slinger, so I
don't have hopes that it could be fixed anytime soon.

Teo En Ming reported not so long ago that he got VGA Passthrough working in a
not-so-different system: Linux Kernel 3.16, Xen 4.4.1, major difference would
be an Ubuntu Dom0 and a Radeon 6450. However, he was using a Windows 7 DomU:
lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2014-09/msg00029.html
As I didn't tested VGA Passthrough with any other OS, I can't say if the
Catalyst Drivers could be at fault. I'm using the Catalyst 12.1 for WXP cause
they were the last ones to include OpenCL support and worked in 4.3.2. Could
try with latest Drivers and/or Windows 7 if you really suggest so. Would be
looking at his install instructions to check if I am not missing something.

Also, you may be interesed in a theory I have about the famous "performance
degradation" with Radeons:
lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-09/msg02679.html