Re: [Xen-devel] PCI and VGA Passthrough regressions on Xen 4.4.1 vs 4.3.2

>> HARDWARE
>> Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1245V3 (Haswell) -
>> http://ark.intel.com/products/75462/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1245-v3-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz
>
> I seem to see 8 CPUs while your serial output say it has 4?
>
> Did you disable hyper-threading?

Yes, Hyper Threading is disabled.

> Anyhow, could you when booting under Xen 4.3 (and Xen 4.4) also use
> iommu=verbose,debug

Will try adding that to syslinux.cfg the next time I experiment with that
install, which should be sooner than later. Is there any specific log file I
should save, or better to repeat all them? Any other command line I could
include in case you want to get logs of everything in one go? Also, should I
get logs with the DomU running, or after closing it?

> And there were no BIOS updates in between using Xen 4.3 or Xen 4.4? I recall
> that BIOS v1.0 on those
> boards would spit errors.

When I purchased the Motherboard, if I recall correctly, there were no BIOS
updates posted at Supermicro website, so I should have had the first shipping
BIOS. There was a BIOS update around the same time I received it (Don't recall
version because I didn't upgrade, could be 1.1), then another one which is the
2.0 I have currently, installed from X10SAT4_421.zip which should be from April
21 2014. So Xen 4.3.1 was installed and used with BIOS 1.0 with no issues for 9
months or so.

I did update the BIOS two weeks ago while trying UEFI Boot with Xen 4.4.1, due
to the fact that pretty much all people I saw but me managed to get it working,
so I through that a Firmware upgrade could fix it. It didn't. I finally got it
working when I tested with the 3.17 Kernel. Right after that I found the
Passthrough regression. After giving up seeing that no option could make it
work, I decided to test again with my older Xen 4.3.1 install and it worked
fine as always, so that's when I decided to test Xen 4.3.2, and it worked, too.
So Xen 4.3.1 was tested -briefly- with BIOS 2.0, while 4.4.1 and 4.3.2
exclusively with 2.0. And some days ago I did an standarized test to make sure
that I'm comparing the latest two versions on common grounds instead of my
bleeding edge patchwork attempt.

Some interesing things I found while googling are:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulseaudio#Glitches.2C_skips_or_crackling
Which suggest for the same symptoms I suffer, to disable the IOMMU. However, I
don't have pulseaudio installed in Dom0, and the issue is in DomU. Plus only
change was Xen package version installed.

Another one, even more interesing because it does involve Xen:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/282195#282987
This guy says that when he uses pciback.hide in the Boot Loader exactly like I
do, he gets sound issues in the DomU, but that he succeded by instead letting
Dom0 initialize the Sound Card, then using xl pci-assignable-add to disconnect
it from Dom0 so it can be available for DomU. Which means that there could be
an initilization issue. That Thread is dated one year ago and for Xen 4.2, but
its too identical to my issue to not want to test this.

Because my test Dom0 is extremely minimalist, I need to check what I have to
install so I can get sound output from Dom0 then proceed to try again output
from DomU. Chances are that I end up installing a full blown Gnome or KDE on it
with maybe Chromium and try a Youtube video. It also doesn't helps that my DomU
selection is only WXP SP3, could help to add another Arch Linux DomU, giving
that there are now a few more variables to test. Maybe the initialization issue
is bound to the Realtek WXP SP3 Drivers and not other OSes.
Assuming you have the time and will, as you said that you have near identical
Hardware, you may want to try to reproduce it yourself. There is indeed an
issue somewhere related to Xen 4.4.1, but I doubt I can pinpoint what exactly
it is. I will try to get more logs with the IOMMU setting, test without
xen-pciback.hide, and post results, but chances are that you can do a more
in-depth test of whatever I miss.