Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen VGA Passthrough] Cannot Complete All 3dmark Tests in Windows 8 HVM domU

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:10:43 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 10:10:49 +0000

On 2014-09-11 19:35, Zytaruk, Kelly wrote:

I myself am still using Win7  in the DomU and have not yet
experimented with Win8.1.  I find Win7 very stable and it has not
given me any problems as a guest OS.

Ooo, an actual AMD person on the list! :D

Speaking if ongoing problems, any chance of a few fixes and
feature un-removals in the Windows driver?

1) Issue a bus reset to the device at driver load/unload time
to remove the need to eject the device at shutdown when
running virtualized. I cannot be the only one cursing having
no choice but to use Nvidia cards if I need to be able to
seamlessly reboot my domUs with GPUs. I had a pair of R9 290X
cards and had to trade them in for 780Tis.

2) Expose stretched desktop modes to full screen DirectX apps.
I couldn't get anything working in 3840x2400 because my monitor
shows up as two separate 1920x2400 screens. The highest resolution
desktop stretch mode available was, IIRC, 3200x900 which is
quite useless. The problem will only get bigger with the newly
announced 5120x2880 monitor from Dell that will show up as
2x 2560x2880 over two DP inputs.

For bonus points:

3) Make the driver do what the monitor driver says, rather
than always blindly following what EDID says

4) Make the driver not crash with R9 cards on NF200 PCIe
bridges. HD7970 works, so why don't R9s?

I would love dearly to be able to switch to AMD GPUs, but
the drivers just don't meet the minimum usability requirements.

Gordan