Re: [Xen-devel] live migration between xen 4.0 and xen 4.3

On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 09:29 +0000, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote on 2014-07-16:
> > On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 07:49 +0000, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> Is it possible to live migration between xen 4.0 which using xend to
> >> xen 4.3
> > which using xl?
> >
> > It has never been supported to make such a large leap with any
> > toolstack. We have only ever supported N->N+1 migration. It might have
> > worked for some specific release combinations by chance but it's not
> > guaranteed.
>
> Thanks for your explanation. So you mean I can achieve it by migrate
> the VM from Xen 4.0->Xen 4.1-> Xen 4.2 ->Xen 4.3? And successfully to
> migrate VM from xm toolstack to xl toolstack?

In theory!

Ian J published some docs on the process of going 4.1->4.2 and xend to
xl: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-08/msg02191.html

> BTW, I think it is really important feature to cloud vendor since they
> want to upgrade their Xen to a certain version not N+1. Maybe we can
> take it into consider in future release.

As with everything all it takes is for someone who has such a
requirement to step up.

Ian.