Re: [Xen-devel] Unsolved: proprietary RAID driver and Xen dom0 kernels

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2014-07-06 at 10:30 +0600, Andrew S wrote:> As the driver source is unavailable, I couldn't solve the problem.

I'm afraid without driver source there isn't much anyone other than HP
can do. The best you can hope for is to contact HP and ask them to
support Xen4CentOS by providing a suitably compiled module.

Reading [1] ("Servers may also be configured to disable the Dynamic Smart Array Controller functionality and use non-RAID AHCI mode instead.") and [2] ("These RAID algorithms, which run in the firmware of traditional Smart Array RAID controllers, now run in the server CPU and memory space as part of the Dynamic Smart Array closed source device driver software") it looks pretty much like a fake raid.Â

Personally, if it were I'd either:
- throw away those servers and never buy anything like that again. OR
- use it in AHCI mode and let linux dm/md (or better yet, zfs) handle the RAID.

An interesting point is [3]. They seem to provide driver for Ubuntu Trusty's 3.13 kernel. Would that kernel work unmodified as dom0 (minus blktap, of course)?

--Â
Fajar