Re: [Xen-devel] Best way to get IP addresses from VMs without logging in to them?

It is also possible to read out the guest's network configuration directly from memory without requiring any login credentials. The task can be done with the joint use of LibVMI and Volatility. LibVMI supports Xen out-of-the-box, for Volatility to interpret your guest's memory layout you need to have a profile. Afterwards, for Linux guests, you can simply issue the linux_ifconfig command. Take a look at: http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/09/movp-25-investigating-in-memory-network.html

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-06-11 at 19:44 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> >> No - Xen has no knowledge of networking. ÂI assume you actually mean dom0.
> > My error in not being specific. ÂI mean using a script over the "xl
> > console" interface, kind of like the ssh syntax:
> >
> > ssh user@vm "commands..."
> >
> > maybe:
> >
> > xl console domno "commands..."
> >
> > or an expect script which could feed the "xl console" interface.
> >
> > Russ
>
> xl console <domain> connects your current tty up to the vm console. ÂIt
> is entirely guest controlled, and likely requires a login and password
> as a first step.

It's entirely guest dependent whether there is anything at all running
on the associated tty. If you were using e.g. pvfb you may not end up
with such a thing (some installers key off of what they themselves run
on when deciding whether to create such things).

Also Windows doesn't listen to the serial at all, at least in normal
configurations. YMMV with other OSes too.

If you are doing an automated install then I suppose you could arrange
for some agent or daemon to run, or for the guest to publish its name+IP
somewhere.

Ian.