Re: [Xen-devel] Best way to get IP addresses from VMs without logging in to them?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 16:40:12 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 16:40:20 +0000

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:32:50PM -0400, Russ Pavlicek wrote:
> Is there a better way to programmatically do this?  If so, we need to
> document it in the Wiki (and I'd be glad to work on that).  But how
> can we do this simply?

I'd rather route only the (blocks of) IPs that I want the VM to have
to the VM, not let them set any they like. That way I know what they
have (because I routed it to them) and I know they can only use what
they were given.

If I had to use DHCP though, I'd be using the DHCP logs for the
MAC/IP mapping.

Sniffing traffic would be my last resort.

I don't *think* that Xen has any way to know what interfaces are
configured on the domU end of a vif.

Cheers,
Andy