Re: [Xen-devel] xm/xl shutdown does not work with HVM guest

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 13:56 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:50:12AM -0800, Saurabh Mishra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to know what should be configured in the HVM guest such that it
> > accepts 'xm/xl shutdown' graceful shutdown signal.
> >
> > 'xm/xl shutdown' works great when I have xen_platform_pci=1 (PV on HVM)
> > however whenever I disable xen_platform_pci=0, it does not work.
>
> Right. That is expected.

With xl in the absence of PV drivers you can use "xl shutdown -F" to
fallback to an ACPI power event to shut things down, assuming the guest
is configured to respond to that.

Although if xl trigger power isn't working it sounds like this might not
work either.

> > I also tried 'xl/xm trigger <vm> power' and this too does not work if
> > xen_platform_pci=0 is set. We do have lot of PCI pass-through devices.
>
> Oh, that looks to be a bug then.

Remember that this could also be a guest side bug, since it has to be
configured to respond to the event. I'd have thought that most modern
Linux distros and versions of Windows would do *something* by default
(either shutdown, reboot or in the case of Windows perhaps hibernate).

I wouldn't have expected xen_platform_pci to make any difference to the
functionality of this option, but it's not clear if that is implied by
the above.

Ian.