Re: [Xen-devel] [TestDay] F20 Xen 4.4 RC3 Spice support

On gio, 2014-02-06 at 08:35 +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

>         Is there a knob for qxl support?
>
>         [root@xen ~]# cat /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-f20.log
>         qemu-system-i386: -vga qxl: invalid option
>

> Here there is a patch that add qxl support in libxl updated to xen
> 4.4-rc3 if you want add it:
> https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/f1e3f78f7b9580700591cebd98e9263645bff56b
>
> Or you can simply compile from this already ready for spice/qxl
> testing:
> https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-testing
>

> Is not upstream for now because there is something on xen that make it
> not working on linux domUs with qxl driver active and working with
> high performance problem on windows domUs.

Right.

> I spent several days without finding the exact problem to be solved :(
> If you want you can try it out and see if anything changes using
> Fedora instead of Debian as dom0, differents kernel domUs etc.
> Maybe you could even find some new informations/errors useful for
> solving the problem.

Yep, that would help... let us know! :-)

Anyway, first of all, sorry for my spice/qxl ignorance.

What I just wanted to say is this: searching the wiki, all I found about
spice and QXL is this section in the QEMU Upstream page:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/QEMU_Upstream#SPICE_.2F_QXL

Perhaps someone of you can double check whether the information there is
still fresh and accurate enough? Perhaps it's also worth adding
references to the patches mentioned above (with the proper disclaimer
about the known issues, of course)?

Also, maybe for the next DocsDay, this would be a nice one to have too:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Document_Days/TODO#Spice_Config_Example_for_upstream_QEMU

If keen on doing any of the above that involves modifying the wiki, send
me a note, and I think I can provide the necessary permissions.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario