Re: [Xen-devel] [TestDay] F20 Xen 4.4 RC3 Spice support

On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 08:35 +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

>         Is there a knob for qxl support?
>
>         [root@xen ~]# cat /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-f20.log
>         qemu-system-i386: -vga qxl: invalid option

> Here there is a patch that add qxl support in libxl updated to xen
> 4.4-rc3 if you want add it:
> https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/f1e3f78f7b9580700591cebd98e9263645bff56b
>
> Or you can simply compile from this already ready for spice/qxl
> testing:
> https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commits/rebase/m2r-testing
>

> Is not upstream for now because there is something on xen that make it
> not working on linux domUs with qxl driver active and working with
> high performance problem on windows domUs.
> I spent several days without finding the exact problem to be solved :(
> If you want you can try it out and see if anything changes using
> Fedora instead of Debian as dom0, differents kernel domUs etc.
> Maybe you could even find some new informations/errors useful for
> solving the problem.

I am not very familiar with compiling nor with github, but I did learn
that by adding .patch to your first link, it was possible to get the
changes in a patch file format.  Applying the patch generated these
errors:

[root@xen xen]# patch -p1 < patch1.txt
patching file docs/man/xl.cfg.pod.5
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1085.
docs/man/xl.cfg.pod.5.rej
patching file tools/libxl/libxl_create.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 229.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 252.
tools/libxl/libxl_create.c.rej
patching file tools/libxl/libxl_dm.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 217 with fuzz 2 (offset -3 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 517 with fuzz 2 (offset -5 lines).
patching file tools/libxl/libxl_types.idl
Hunk #1 FAILED at 154.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
tools/libxl/libxl_types.idl.rej
patching file tools/libxl/xl_cmdimpl.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1669.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
tools/libxl/xl_cmdimpl.c.rej

By inspecting the code, I could tell that there were some missing
patches (VGA interface type none was missing) compared to the RC3 source
that I have.  Would you mind helping with the additional patches that I
need?  Is so, I will try to help with the qxl issue.

Thanks,

Eric

Yes, fail because is applied after vga none patch that modified neighboring lines.
Apply vga none before and qxl patch after should make both applicable without conflict.
Should not cause problems because both have already been reviewed by the libxl/qemu maintainers and improved following their advices.