Re: [Xen-devel] tapdisk in debian 3.11 kernel

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013, James Harper wrote:

> > I would definitely recommend qdisk over tapdisk: you can simply use
> > upstream QEMU for development and works. Enabling Ceph should just be a
> > matter of passing the right command line arguments to QEMU.
> >

> I finally got rbd working under Debian with qdisk.
>
> I had to enable rbd in qemu (and not build the static user package as the
> build seems to be broken for rbd/rados static), then patch libxl so it would
> accept a format of rbd. Repeating what I said in xen-users, having an
> artificial restriction on formats for qdisk is a bit of a pain for something
> that should "just work". Is this resolved in newer versions? Or maybe there
> is some secret sauce I'm missing?
>
> Anyway, now I can use a disk config of:
>
> rbd:prod/virt-zoneminder-root,rbd,xvda1,rw,backendtype=qdisk
>
> and get rbd with ceph under hvm. Probably pv too but I can't seem to get an
> 'xl console' working to check right now.

Nice! Please send the libxl patches to the list!

The reason why libxl has a specific list of supported formats is that we
thought that a simple wildcard and external bash scripts without a clear
calling convention were too fragile. Of course if RDB "just works", we
should enable it in libxl.