Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update: RC0 imminent

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 05:16:55PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
[...]
> > > IIRC the Xen side patches were pretty small and straight forward and the
> > > only issue was agreeing the ABI for the struct passed from hvmloader to
> > > ovmf.
> > >

> > Yes, that's the main missing bit. However the interface has been acked
> > on OVMF side, does that mean it is safe to go in now?
>
> I think so long as the risk that it might change is small we could take
> it. The danger would be that we take it and release it and then someone
> changes their mind or whatever. If they just spotted an issue then we'll
> have to live with it -- just like we would if we committed to both ovmf
> and Xen right now.
>
> There's also an inherent danger in taking something into Xen without the
> 3rd party code which exercises it.
>
> But the advantage is that when OVMF is updated it will be possible to
> use it with Xen.
>
> On the other hand if you need to build an OVMF yourself a few patches to
> hvmloader are probably not a big deal either.
>
> OK, so I'm clearly in two minds about this ;-)
>
> George -- what do you think?

My two cents would be let's see if we can upstream OVMF side patches in
time (it looks quite close now but I cannot say for sure, it's not
controlled by us ;-)), then release it in 4.4 and mark this feature as
experimental. Otherwise there's no need to merge Xen side patches.

Wei.