Re: [Xen-devel] GeForce 4xx/Fermi to Quadro Modifying Quide

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:33:41 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 09:22:00PM +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
Due to popular demand, I have finally found time to write this up. I
had to rush it a little, but hopefully you get the gist.

http://www.altechnative.net/2013/11/25/virtualized-gaming-nvidia-cards-part-3-how-to-modify-a-fermi-based-geforce-into-a-quadro-geforce-gts450gtx470gtx480-to-quadro-200050006000/

Any questions, please ask away, and I'll update the article to
expand on those points where appropriate.

Awesome! I read it and was getting ready to modify my Nvidia card and
then realized I have an GTX460 which is looks to be GF110 but
not exactly full-fledge (one of the SMs is dead) so probably
nothing can be done about it.

From what I can see there are several variants of the GTX460,
some with the GF104 GPU, others with the GF114 GPU. There is no
Quadro based on the GF114, but there are two mobile Quadro
variants based on it: Q3000M and Q4000M.

The GTX460 variants have the following device IDs:
GeForce GTX 460         0x0E22
GeForce GTX 460 SE      0x0E23
GeForce GTX 460         0x0E24

The corresponding Quadros have IDs:

Quadro 3000M    0x0E3A
Quadro 4000M    0x0E3B

So you _should_ be able to modify your card into one of those,
since the adjustment range is within the bottom 5 bits of the
device ID and the GPU itself is the same.

Q4000M looks like a closer match. I'd say it's certainly
worth a try. :)

I don't recall that virtualization is technically supported
on the mobile series GPUs, but it might work just fine.
Please report back whether it works if you try it, and
perhaps add the model to the successfully tested passthrough
GPUs on the wiki page. :)

Hopefully this will help those on a non-Quadro level budget who want
to use GPU passthrough that works properly.

Time to find one of those cards at the MIT flea or hit eBay!

I'd still have a go at modding your existing card first, if
for no other reason then because I don't think anyone has tried
that particular model before.

Gordan