Re: [Xen-devel] Usb passthrough with upstream qemu question

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Fabio Fantoni <fabio.fantoni@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Il 04/10/2013 16:25, George Dunlap ha scritto:

>>> If I'm not wrong on what you mean, usb controller definition should be
>>> right with my patch "usbversion" while actual usbpassthrough part should be
>>> replaced/remade in order to have devices passed by usbdevice and
>>> usbdevice_list added after qemu launch with hotplug function you had already
>>> did with your patches.
>>> Did you mean something else?
>>

>> I thought the "usbpassthrough" stuff had to do with spice.
>>
>> In any case, what you describe it sounds pretty close, with one caveat:
>> Because usbdevice and usbdevice_list are basically just passing through
>> strings that qemu understands on its command line, I don't think we can
>> re-use them: I think we'd have to introduce another config option that would
>> have a new interface which matches the new libxl interface better.  We'd
>> have to keep the old ones around for backwards compatibility, but we can
>> deprecate them.
>>
>>  -George
>

> So to be sure, you mean to keep the old parameters usbdevice and
> usbdevice_list with only usb1 (making them deprecated), and introduce a new
> parameter storing the devices usbpassthrough list (from dom0) which will use
> the new usb1-2-3 controller (with usbversion) and your usbhotplug functions?
> Is it right?

Yes, except that I think ideally you'd design the new interface not
only for pass-through devices, but for emulated devices as well --
tablets, mice, keyboard, &c.  The patches I posted should be
expandable to include things like that.

 -George