Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update

On 15/08/13 14:24, Wei Liu wrote:
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 02:08:01PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 15.08.13 at 15:02, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 05:09:35PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
* Remove hardcoded mobprobe's in xencommons
   owner: Wei Liu
   status: still in discussion

Have we not reached conclusion here? IIRC in a engineering meeting we
had you said we could just leave it as-is for now?
??? Didn't we long ago agree that this hard coded loading is bogus
and hence should go away? Remember this was originally planned
to happen for 4.3, so any change in direction here needs a very
good reason imo.

Actually I wasn't completely sure I remembered the right thing. I might
be wrong about the conclusion.  Geroge, do you have any clue? :-)

I think the conclusion we came to was as follows:

* Calling modprobe from libxl is not really feasible due to the fact that we have to call exec, which means making some of the calls async; one thing led to another and a huge number of calls would have had to be made async.

* It is better if kernels use the auto-load mechanisms as much as possible, rather than modprobes either in the init scripts or from libxl

* However, blktap is unmaintained. Unless someone steps up to add the functionality (which is not recommended as it would probably te a waste of effort), it will continue to require a modprobe. On newer systems, without blktap, the modprobe will be harmless. So for blktap, the modprobe will have to remain for the forseeable future.

* It would be good if other modules were modified so that they were auto-loaded, rather than modprobed. However, this was outside of the scope of the work I or Wei agreed to do. We agreed to handle blktap, and the blktap module loading issue has been resolved.

* Modifying other modules is an open ticket item

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

I can put "auto-load other modules" on the roadmap without an owner, if you like.

 -George