Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: Limitation of <=2GB RAM in domU persists with 4.3.0

On 07/29/2013 12:17 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/28/2013 11:26 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Ian Campbell
<ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 23:23 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
Now, if I am understanding the basic nature of the problem
correctly,
this _could_ be worked around by ensuring that vBAR = pBAR since
in
that
case there is no room for the mis-mapped memory overwrites to
occur.
Is
that correct?

AIUI (which is not very well...) it's not so much vBAR=pBAR but
making
the guest e820 (memory map) have the same MMIO holes as the host so
that
there can't be any clash between v- or p-BAR and RAM in the guest.

I guess I could test this easily enough by applying the vBAR =
pBAR
hack.

Does the e820_host=1 option help? That might be PV only though, I
can't
remember...

Alas, yes.  The man pages list it under "PV Guest Specific Options":
http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/man/xl.cfg.5.html

You got my hopes up! ;)

Carry on!  I'll be sitting here metaphorically munching popcorn with
anticipation :P

We could implement that for HVM guests too. But I am not sure about
the consequences of this for migration (say you unplug the device
beforehand and then migrate to another host which has a different
E820). That part requires a bit of pondering.

Just out of interest, what happens in case where the PV guests get
migrated with e820_host=1 set?

Gordan

We disallow (I think?)  as there is no way we can guarantee the
E820 map.  I guess your point is that since we disallow this on
PV with this parameter there is not much difference in allowing
HVM guest with this.

That is indeed where I was pondering going with this, yes - apply the same restriction in the HVM case that exists in the PV case.

Regarding the e820_host=1 case, which of the following is true:

1) The dom0 BAR areas are simply reserved/holes and the domU still maps it's own BARs elsewhere in the memory space?

2) domU is free to map BARs into any of the host E820 map holes of appropriate size?

3) vBAR=pBAR

4) Other?

Thanks.

Gordan