Re: [Xen-devel] xl remus - Invoking scripts from xl

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 09:26 -0400, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:

>         Right, and that's why I would prefer to avoid a dependency on
>         Python.
>         Since I think at least some of these projects will see it as
>         an
>         additional barrier.
>
>         On the other hand if its just an implementation detail of a
>         remus
>         specific script which libxl happens to call out to when asked
>         then I
>         suppose it is up to the Remus folks whether they find this
>         acceptable.
>

> correction. This script will be called by xl not libxl. As George put
> it, other toolstacks
> may choose to do this setup in their own way.

Actually I think this is exactly the sort of complexity which libxl
serves to remove from all toolstacks. If they all need to do it then it
belongs in libxl.

> system("modprobe ifb numifbs=10")
> system("ip link set ifbX up")

These two should be part of the required host configuration I think.
Along the same lines as how we pushed general host networking setup out
of the toolstack and into the administrators capable hands, e.g
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Network_Configuration_Examples_%28Xen_4.1%2B%29

IOW just document it, same as we document "create xenbr0"

> system("tc filter add dev vif1.0 ingress")
> system("tc filter add dev vif1.0 parent ffff: proto ip pref 10 u32
> match u32 0 0 action mirred egress redirect dev ifbX")

These should be part of the existing vif hotplug scripts (called from
libxl), shouldn't they? Perhaps based on a new vif parameter to specify
the ifbX

Ian.