Re: [Xen-devel] osstest - howTo

On 7/15/2013 4:33 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Mihai Bucicoiu
<mihai.bucicoiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how can Xen be tested. As far as I could find out
there is a testing framework that can be used, called osstest. [1]
What are you trying to accomplish with the testing?
This is a very good question that I don't really have an answer to it.
But this, if I got it right,this requires a reboot of the tested host, while
we need to test Xen without rebooting it. There seems also to be a local
version ("OSSTEST_JOB=<job> ./ts-debian-install host=bedbug" from README)
but it only tests if a VM can be started.
Why do you not want to reboot the host?
We are building a live update system for Xen, and after the patch is applied we do not want to reboot, we want to test if everything is still functional. We tested our system in the sense the the VMs are still running and the services (we only tried a simple web server) inside the VM still run. New VMs can also be started. But the question is are the other services that Xen provide still available (e.g., can dom0 do all the hypercalls in a proper way).

- Mihai