Re: [Xen-devel] [Hackathon Minutes] Xen 4.4 Planning

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 16:30 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> But yes, I can see a 3+1 month cycle as still reasonable, albeit I'd
> personally prefer longer cycles. That's not the least because at
> least till now the window of older branches being maintained is
> coupled to the main release cycle, and would hence also get
> shortened, or the amount of work to maintain these branches
> would increase simply because their number would grow - neither
> of which is really desirable imo.

I raised this at the hackathon but didn't spot that it wasn't in the
minutes.

I think if we increase the release cadence we also need to tweak the
stable release policy, perhaps by nominating a fraction of releases for
longer term instead of the current "last 2". i.e perhaps we would
support the previous stable release in the normal way and every second
or third for a longer period (I'd need to sit down with a calendar to
figure out which cadence I really thought was sensible).

That of course undermines "there's a next release soon" since 1/N
releases somewhat become "special"...

Ian