Re: [Xen-devel] [Hackathon Minutes] Xen 4.4 Planning

>>> On 13.06.13 at 17:11, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem with the current cycle I think is that if you miss getting a
> feature into this release, it's going to be a full year and a half until
> the next release.

9 months != 1.5 years

>  This means that there is increased pressure to try to
> "shove things in" at the last minute, and to ask for feature freeze
> exceptions.  If I was sure that 4.4 would be another 9-month cycle, I
> would have pushed much harder to make USB hot-plug support a blocker,
> for example.  That in turn causes less review, longer code freezes, and
> so on.
>
> If there's a 4-month cadence, then if you miss one release, it's only
> another 4 months until the next release; not a big deal to wait.

As long as releases are halfway predictable, I don't see 4 months
this significantly much better than 9 - those who don't get their
stuff ready in 4 months aren't that unlikely to also not finish it in
8 or 9.

But yes, I can see a 3+1 month cycle as still reasonable, albeit I'd
personally prefer longer cycles. That's not the least because at
least till now the window of older branches being maintained is
coupled to the main release cycle, and would hence also get
shortened, or the amount of work to maintain these branches
would increase simply because their number would grow - neither
of which is really desirable imo.

Jan