Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] xen forum

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:31:02PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 04:04:09PM +0100, Ian Murray wrote:
> >

> > >It would be easier for us if the bug reports and such were posted on
> > >xen-devel.
> > >Please consult http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html when
> > >doing it.
> > >

> > My own experience is that posts (at least from me) are regularly
> > missed/ignored on the devel list, including a signed patch, so I personally
> > think a bug tracker would be a better option. Bug trackers don't (or at
> > least shouldn't :) ) forget or miss. That's they're raison d'etre. I
> > honestly don't know how anyone can do business using this list, but that's
> > just my humble opinion.
>
> Did you also look in the MAINTAINERS file to make sure you copied the right
> maintainer?
>
> The reason for skipping the Bugzilla system is that it is soo out of date that
> we don't use it anymore.

Actually I recall there is a secondary reason too - which is that we get copied
on distros bugs that affect Xen. For example in Fedora I (and Dariof) get
copied on
any Linux kernel issues that are related to Xen. In Debian I believe Ian
Campbell
gets copied as well. For SuSE it is Jan and Olaf. Not sure about the other
distros.

And then if you use Oracle Linux, I get copied too. Then there is the internal
bug system
if you using OVM and the Linux kernel bug-system where I get copied too.

That is a lot of bug systems to keep track of - and since most of the users use
distro they end up using their distro bug-system. And then Xen's bugzilla
system
became less and less important to keep track of stuff.

Oh, and there are the five mailing lists and the fire-hose LKML. Yuck, soo many
emails.

Now I have to admit that everytime anybody reports an issue on xen-devel that
regards
Linux I try to respond ASAP. Unfortunatly I miss it sometimes - and this Xen
4.3 release
overlapped with Linux v3.10 merge window (And my vacation) - so it was a triple
whammy
when it came to keeping track of things. To keep track of things, and of all of
those
different bug systems, and of what to get done for Xen or Linux I have a text
file.

It is mostly FIFO with the 'oh wow, this needs to be fixed NOW!' preempting it.
In all honestly it sucks as a track system, but I am not really sure of how
else to do this
without spending a massive time doing 'click here on this button and add this
comment,
set dependency on this bug' and instead concentrate my time in an editor.

I believe we need something that can bridge both of these - helping developers
know about bugs and also track them so users know that things are done and not
ignored.
And so low maintaince for developers that they can focus on looking at code all
day.

BTW, did I mention that Oracle is looking to hire Xen and Linux developers :-)