Re: [Xen-devel] HVM Migration of domU on Qemu-upstream DM loses ACPI data in xenstore

Ian,

--On 17 May 2013 18:33:48 +0100 Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 14:12 +0100, Diana Crisan wrote:
Prior to issuing a migration the lines 'platform = ""', 'acpi = "1"',
'acpi_s3 = "1"' and 'acpi_s4 = "1"' are present in xenstore (despite
the fact xl.conf does not explicitly specify them). However, after the
migration succeeds on the receiving side, those lines are missing.

Is the lack of these keys causing you a problem? IIRC they are used by
the builder to communicate with hvmloader (the pre-BIOS loader used in
HVM guests) so it can setup ACPI tables etc as appropriate. Nothing else
should be using them. They are documented as INTERNAL in
docs/misc/xenstore-paths.markdown.

(Diana is my colleague)

We don't know whether it causes a problem, but we were looking to
find something something that might explain the stuck clock on migration
Diana reported along side this on ACPI enabled hvm:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-05/msg01472.html

We figured if ACPI wasn't being set up right on the recipient (migrated)
domain, this might be the problem (given the stuck clock only appears
if you use ACPI).

How does the recipient upstream QEMU / Xen know whether to emulate
ACPI if this is not transferred?

--
Alex Bligh