[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update CODE FREEZE

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>> On 22.04.13 at 17:01, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM, George Dunlap
>> <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> * Multi-vector PCI MSI (support at least for Dom0)
>>>   owner: jan@suse
>>>   status: ?
>> Jan, what's the status of this one?  Are you still pushing for this to
>> make it into 4.3, or will you wait until 4.4?
> As also said on irc earlier this morning (I was gone already when
> you asked yesterday), I'm still hoping to get this in, but it's not
> really under my control - I'm depending on AMD to help out
> debugging on their hardware.
> Suravee actually pointed out that the problem with the earlier
> posted prerequisite patches was apparently spurious, but he
> found a problem with the final patch of the full series, which we'll
> have to work out.

Right -- then from a release perspective, should we take it off the table?

Remember the criteria:
1. Will we find all the bugs before the release?
2. What is the risk of finding bugs that slip the release?
3. Is it valuable enough that it's worth the risk of slipping the release?

Will this be enabled on typical hardware, or will it only be present
if the user specifically does something to enable it?  If the second,
#1 is probably less important; otherwise, it seems pretty risky.

Regarding 2 and 3, I admit I don't have a good handle on how valuable
the feature is, but absent a pretty high value, it seems like it might
be better to wait.



Xen-devel mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.