Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update, and stock-taking

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 02:12:40PM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 18/01/13 11:20, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:12:34AM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>OK, so I think the description needs an update, then.  For Xen to be
> >>fully featured, I think it would need all of the following:
> >>* An EFI-bootable dom0 (this should be done, right?)
> >>* dom0 able to make use of EFI run-time services
> >>* Xen able to use EFI boot-time services (?)
> >>* Xen able to detect the existence of a signed Linux binary, and leave
> >>EFI boot-time services enabled for dom0 to use when appropriate
> >>* dom0 able to use boot-time EFI services and disable them when done
> >I am slowly starting work on EFI stuff in Xen and dom0 with upstream Linux
> >Kernel.
> >I am preparing my new platform for this now. At first I am going to figure
> >out what
> >works and what does not work. Additionally, I am going to work on GRUB2 to
> >properly
> >load Xen and other needed stuff. I think that final goal is to have Xen
> >evironment
> >working in all possible EFI configs.
> >
> >You could assign me to this task.
>
> OK, I've added you as the owner.  Do you think the Xen-side EFI hooks
> might be ready by the 4.3 feature freeze (scheduled for March 25)?

As I know there are some hooks which allows us to use EFI on some systems.
However, I do not know how they could be used in PVOPS kernel. It requires
some investigation (which I start doing). Maybe they are sufficient but
maybe some of them or all should be changed (as it is the case in kaxec/kdump
functionality). Anyway, I hope that I will have full view of that in ~1 month.
I will send you update ASAP.

Daniel