Re: [Xen-devel] Proposed XENMEM_claim_pages hypercall: Analysis of problem and alternate solutions

On Jan 14, 2013, at 11:00 AM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That's not in the tree. Unbeknownst to me. Would appreciate to know more.
>>> Or is it a symbolic placeholder in this conversation?
>> OK, I am confused then. I thought there was now an daemon that would take
>> care of the PoD and swapping? Perhaps its called something else?
>
> FYI PoD at the moment is all handled within the hypervisor.  There was
> discussion of extending the swap daemon (sorry, also don't know the official
> name off the top of my head) to handle PoD, since PoD is essentially a
> degenerate case of swapping, but it hasn't happened yet.  In any case it will
> need to be tested first, since it may cause boot time for pre-ballooned
> guests to slow down unacceptably.

Not necessarily involve the swapping daemon. I thought the idea was to have PoD
use the existing hypervisor paging infrastructure. We could add a p2m type
(paged_out_zero) and then no need to actively involve a swapping daemon during
allocations.

Andres