Re: [Xen-devel] iommu=dom0-passthrough behavior

Basically,  this options just allows the transactions from dom0's devices not
subject to VT-d engine.  Actually,  It is not targeted to fix something, but
just allows users isolating VT-d issues from dom0.
As I know, in early days, VT-d is not that stable,   if dom0's devices are
controlled by VT-d,  some strange issues may trigger in system's boot stage, so
use this options to disable VT-d for Dom0.

> Only then we can talk about bugs, and if there is one I suspect it's not only
> in
> VT-d code, but equally much in AMD IOMMU's.
>
> The thing here is that a device functioning properly without IOMMU (with
> "properly" not necessarily meaning it being implemented correctly as per
> specification, albeit I also didn't check whether the spec would allow for the
> observed behavior) doesn't once DMA translation is enabled (even if
> suppressed for Dom0 via above option).
>
> The problem being that while device enumeration only finds a single device
> at function zero of the respective (seg,bus,dev) tuple, DMA requests - as
> seen by the IOMMU - originate from non-zero functions under the same
> tuple. Since a non-discovered device doesn't get a context entry inserted,
> this result in an IOMMU fault, rendering the device non-functional.
>
> The data from the system I have so far doesn't tell me whether the device
> incorrectly claims itself as single function (with the functions other than
> func
> 0 simply not being discovered during device enumeration, as single function
> devices don't get their non-zero functions scanned) or whether the config
> space for functions 1-7 indeed is unpopulated, with the device issuing
> requests with non- zero function number for other, unexplained reasons.

> Bottom line - I'm seeking advice as to whether working around this problem
> in the IOMMU code is desirable/necessary, or whether this is a design flaw
> on the device's side that just cannot be tolerated with an IOMMU in the
> picture (which would need good reasoning, so that a customer expecting
> such a device to work regardless of IOMMU usage can understand that this
> cannot reasonably be made work).

The issue is why the non-zero functions don't claim themselves during PCI bus
scan.   From security point of view,  VT-d shouldn't allow transactions from
the unknown devices.
Xiantao