Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

George Dunlap wrote:
> On 20/09/12 22:20, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>> Chun Yan Liu was working on a patch to implement migration in the
>> libvirt libxl
>> driver, but she wasn't able to finish tidying the patch before
>> departing on
>> maternity leave.  She recently returned to work and I'd expect a
>> refreshed patch
>> soon - after working through her backlog.
>>
>> But why is libvirt integration listed as a Xen 4.3 feature?  AFAIK,
>> all of this
>> work is in libvirt and really doesn't have much to do with the
>> release of 4.3.
> For one, as Ian said, we want xl/libxl to be the default toolstack in
> 4.3; as soon as possible we want to remove xend.

Good :).

> But from a broader perspective, the idea is for the Xen.org community
> to be thinking strategically about the success of the Xen project as a
> whole.  Things like distro support and libvirt integration are
> absolutely critical to Xen's success in the open-source ecosystem.  So
> while we don't have to do everything ourselves, we want to think about
> what things need to be done, track them to make sure that *someone*
> does them; and be prepared to pick them up ourselves if necessary.
> And it just makes more sense to track everything on one list.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes, it does.  I'm actually quite happy to hear this statement of
support for the broader ecosystem!

WRT libvirt support for libxl in Xen >= 4.2, SUSE will be contributing
some work.  Just today I had to disable the driver in our Factory
libvirt builds where we now have Xen 4.2.  This hack can't last for long.

Regards,
Jim