Re: [Xen-devel] From which place in source code Xen start to deal with the GuestOS shutdown operation?

  • To: Bruce Granger <vivagin@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:08:31 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:08:56 +0000

On 21/09/2012 05:06, "Bruce Granger" <vivagin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
I feel I'm still a new baby though I have been study xen
> source code for
some days!
When I shutdown GuestOS, I want to get to know how
> Xen deal with the
operation? I find the code in xen\arch\x86\hvm\vlapic.c,
> see:
static int vlapic_accept_irq(struct vcpu *v, uint32_t
> icr_low)
{
……
switch ( icr_low & APIC_MODE_MASK )
{
……
    case APIC_DM_INIT:

> /* No work on INIT de-assert for P4-type APIC. */
        if ( (icr_low &
> (APIC_INT_LEVELTRIG | APIC_INT_ASSERT)) ==
             APIC_INT_LEVELTRIG )

> break;
        /* Nothing to do if the VCPU is already reset. */
        if (
> !v->is_initialised )
            break;
        hvm_vcpu_down(v);
        rc =
> vlapic_schedule_init_sipi_tasklet(v, icr_low);
        break;
……
}
……
I think
> that when we input the shutdown command in GuestOS, xen will first
catch the
> APIC_DM_INIT and then call the
‘hvm_vcpu_down(v)’、’domain_shutdown()’ and so
> on , is that right? If not,
where is the code entrance when shutdown operation
> occurs?

Yes that's about right. Some guests will not re-INIT the VCPUs but will
simply leave them HLTed with interrupts disabled. We also pick up that case
in hvm_hlt().

Once all VCPUs are down, hvm_vcpu_down() dows the domain_shutdown() call,
which then triggers machinery in dom0 to kill off the domain fully. I
described that path in my previous email.

 -- Keir

> http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/From-which-place-in-source-code-Xen-start-to-
> deal-with-the-GuestOS-shutdown-operation-tp5711422.html
Sent from the Xen -
> Dev mailing list archive at
> Nabble.com.

Xen-devel mailing