Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 linux 3.6.0-rc4, crash due to ballooning althoug dom0_mem=X, max:X set

>> > About nine of them deal with dom0_mem=max ballooning up right, so if you
>> > ignore those:
>>
>> > b9e0d95 xen: mark local pages as FOREIGN in the m2p_override
>> > d79d595 xen: Add selfballoning memory reservation tunable.
>> > f62805f xen: enter/exit lazy_mmu_mode around m2p_override calls
>>
>> > Try reverting any of those.
>>
>> Ah i missed your email since my hostingprovider was down :-(
>> But anyway done a git bisect in the mean time that leads to:
>>
>> [f62805f1f30a40e354bd036b4cb799863a39be4b] xen: enter/exit lazy_mmu_mode
>> around m2p_override calls

> OK. Hmm.that will take a bit of thinking to fix.
>>

>> > And if nothing works there then we can try to revert the ones that
>> > deal with 'dom0_mem=max:XX'..
>>
>> > I also need to be able to reproduce this. You said you can only reproduce
>> > this
>> > on your Intel box - is this a fast Intel machine? It also looks like you
>> > only
>> > have 2GB in the machine - and reserve 1GB to the dom0.
>>
>> Machine is a quad core q9400 @ 2.66mhz, not very fast .. not very slow either

> That is a fast machine. I was thinking you had a Core2 Solo or a Pentium IV
> Prescott.

>> > If you manually (so don't start the guest), balloon down - say to 512MB
>> > and then launch
>> > a guest do you see this problem?
>>

>> Should i use
>>
>> xl  mem-max domain-id mem
>>
>> or
>>
>> xl  mem-set domain-id mem

> The later.

Ok tested that as well:
   - After "xl  mem-set 0 768M", xentop reports the new mem values (free and
for dom0) correctly, nothing else happens.
   - After a small wait, i tried to start a guest and it crashes dom0 with the
ballooning as before.